Peninsula SPCA, Newport News, Virginia
The Peninsula SPCA, an Adoption Guarantee animal shelter and humane education center, seeks an innovative, experienced veterinarian with a passion for shelter medicine to lead our clinic and animal care staff as we expand our public clinic service offerings on the Virginia Peninsula. This position serves as the Veterinarian-in-Charge for the Peninsula SPCA and oversees all aspects of veterinary care for both the shelter’s adoptable animals as well as the animals in our Petting Zoo and animal clients seen at our walk-in vaccination clinics and scheduled spay/neuter clinic. This position reports directly to the shelter’s Executive Director and works closely with shelter management, animal care staff and the clinic’s client base. The SV performs all surgical procedures at the PSPCA, including spay/neuter surgeries through the shelter’s clinic, and performs/supervises all vaccination and other procedures that take place through our low-cost clinics. The SV will also lead the coming expansion of clinic services offered to include future evening walk-in clinic opportunities.
In addition to sheltering small animals such as dogs, cats and rabbits, the PSPCA houses a Petting Zoo where goats, sheep, alpacas, miniature donkeys and other farm-type animals are kept; the general veterinary health of these animals is also under the supervision of the SV. Other responsibilities include hiring, training and supervising medical staff; departmental budgeting; updating medical protocols and SOPs and participation in staff and Board meetings as requested. Benefits offered include paid holidays and vacation; an employee health insurance plan and a retirement savings plan.
This position is estimated to require 32-40 hours per week.
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and professional references to Applications may also be delivered in-person during the hours of 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 523 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard in Newport News.
Development & Marketing Assistant
Part-time (20 hours/week)
The Development & Marketing Assistant provides support for the marketing & development department.
Essential Function & Responsibilities
The essential functions and responsibilities of this position are listed below. This is not an all-inclusive list. The Development & Marketing Assistant will be responsible for:
Development & Marketing Support
- Prepare reports, memos and documents to nurture donor leads & recognize current donors.
- Process all donations, manage and ensure the accuracy of the donor database (DonorPro) –and produce accurate and effective reports.
- Process all thank you letters for donations
- Assist with scheduling appointments and VIP tours
- Assist with the preparation of Development packages, fundraising marketing materials and mailings
- Assist with fulfillment of community partnerships
- Oversee off-site donation box program, including soliciting new participants and maintaining existing locations.
- Assist with, and serve on the committee for, the shelter’s two biggest fundraisers, Fur Ball and Paws for a Cause
- Solicit and manage in-kind donations for special events, including Fur Ball, Paws for a Cause and others.
- Assist in event planning
- Assist with new fundraising programs, including calendar sales, paver programs, etc.
- High School Diploma required; College Education recommended
- Post-secondary education in business, computers, or office management is an asset.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Computer Programs: Proficiency in Microsoft Office. Working knowledge of database programs (DonorPro preferred).
- Excellent customer relations skills. Previous experience with donor relations, a plus.
Abilities & Competencies:
To perform the essential functions of this position, the incumbent regularly employs the following competencies, physical and/or sensory abilities and skills:
- Communication: Communication skills that allow him/her to professionally represent the PSPCA to a variety of business, media and community partners. Must be able to effectively communicate what he/she needs to accomplish a goal.
- Achievement: Must be a self-motivator with an insatiable drive to achieve. Must have a proven track record of goal setting and achievement.
- Analysis: Must be able to scrutinize and summarize important data related to return on investment, forecasting and budgeting analyses.
- Discipline: Must be able to adhere to timeframes set forth by business plans. Must be able to focus, strategize and prioritize activities to accomplish goals on time.
- Responsibility: Must be able to take ownership of activities and drive them forward despite challenges that may arise. Must be utterly dependable and conscientious of due dates and commitments made to others.
- Values: Must be able to execute the vision and mission of the PSPCA. Must exhibit these values to all customers, community partners, and employees with each interaction.
- Computer Skills: Must be able to proficiently use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), build complex spreadsheets, and communicate efficiently via e-mail. Must be able to learn database software packages quickly.
Experience: Minimum of 1 to 3 years
Working Conditions: The Administrative Assistant is provided a space at the shelter from which to conduct routine business and carry out the majority of his/her duties.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to marketing & development manager
- FLSA-Part-time Status
How To Apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be delivered in-person during the hours of 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 523 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard in Newport News.